These are not questions that most social software today answers effectively. How many of your friends on Facebook do you actually consider friends? What does it mean to poke someone? Twitter begins with the question "What are you doing?" but most of the worthwhile tweets don't answer it.
At IDEO we've started using the term "social interaction design" to describe the work of creating tools for both human-computer and human-human-interaction
Human-centered approaches to industrial and interaction design have long focused on studying human behavior to create informed and appropriate designs. A social interaction designer must consider not only people, environment, and existing tools, but also the unseen elements of the system such as social relationships, power dynamics, and cultural rules.
I really appreciate voices of classmates and Carla Gannis about my Alpa project; touch screen restaurant menus. After discussing about my work, I thought that I need to reinforce a rating system of the menu, represent the whole menu list before showing details of each menu and buttons to present next navigation. Also, I need to make more ordering options for the customer before he or she makes the final decision. During the critique , we had controversial time about electronic device for restaurant menus. Actually, when I came up with this ideas, I thought the menus based on table formats. But, while I was doing the research, I realized that book format menus are appropriate for Korean touch screen menus because of the characteristic of Korean food. When we go to Korean restaurant, a waiter serves a lot of side dishes for free before ordering. That's why we cannot use table touch screen menus in Korean restaurant because side dishes hide touch screen menus. There would not be enough space for touch screen menus if there are too many side dishes. It was a good opportunities to know about how people are supposed to feel when they use this menus.
http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/2589/fruitful-color-campaign I am doing research for finding appropriate colors related to touch screen restaurant menus. Five colors ( red, yellow, green, black and white) are important in Korean food. While doing research five colors, I found interesting behind story about those colors.
http://basmajian.net/work/attention_hog/ I am impressed with this game. Now I am doing some project "love comes back to you and me" as class work. I think I can use this concept of game as one of our project items to advertise our project. interesting game! I love it! Thanks
I think the skin of touch screen have similar function like package design showing display of markets. So, I did research food package design's colors to catch appropriate colors for touch screen. Characteristic color would be associated with the flavor.
Colour is used expensively by retail, marketing and packaging industries in order to convey messages and sensations or trigger associations which encourage the consumer to buy their products. Packaging has to provide all the attraction and all the information necessary for the customer.
Blue - is not found in food packaging because people want to associate the color of the package with the color of product. But, some companies use blue to stand out against the other brands.
Yellow - most popular brands use this color. Yellow is the fastest color the brain processes, and therefore is usually a good attention getter. It is also an appetite stimulant and tends to make people feel cheerful and optimistic.
Red - tends to make people feel excited, full of energy, and can actually increase the heart rate. Like yellow, red is also an appetite stimulant, and warm and inviting color.
Green - the color of nature, a feeling of healthiness, fewer calories, more protein, and less fat
Black - a sense of elegance, wealth, and sophistication, not popular in food packaging, use to make other colors stand out
General Description _ This touch screen menu is for ordering meals at restaurants efficiently. After customers input food data on the touch screen, the data will go to a chef without waiters. E-menu provides organization, detailed information about meals, and expanded views of menu applications. It is very efficient and sustainable because touch screen menus can reduce miscommunication between waitress and customers, and can upload new data easily without printing.
My focus is making this idea popular with efficient, organized, and convenient design, and I want to make unique ideas compared to existing e-menus. In my application, I try to provide design elements that relate to the cultural identity of the food. It can be exotic for people who experience different cultures, and learned about food and culture. Also, e-menus will provide video contents to show vivid food, education contents about how to cook this food, and contents to control the amounts of sources like salt and sugars. While waiting for an order, customers can enjoy playing games related to culture or food. After eating, customers can review about the food which they eat, so that customers who didn’t eat the meals get good information from reviews.
Scenario_ Andy who is an American working in New York goes to an Asian restaurant. After sitting on a seat, he touches on the screen to order meals for lunch. He checks today's lunch special menu and looking thorough customers reviews because he does not know about the food. First, he finds the food getting many starts from customers. By numbers of starts, foods are decided best food rankings. He chooses ‘Bibimbab’ for his lunch. He can know how to be supposed to mix it watching a short video though touch screen. After he pushes select button, he controls the amount of sources for mixing spice with the meal he chose. And then he pays by swiping a credit card from a card reader machine connecting with a touch screen menu. The records go to a chef without waiters. He is playing game and looking over another menus during waiting for the food. Finally, a waiter brings the food with a receipt. After eating, he records some review about the food,and then he goes back to his work place.
"Some folks at the Georgia State University have thought about what an Appletablet would look like, and here's a video that shows their concept. Just to be clear, this was done for a product management class (video credit: John Fudge)."
This article is very helpful to me because I am thinking of touch screen menus as my thesis. I agree that touch interfaces are hardly futuristic at this point. Touch interfaces are very cool methods. And also, how did they make DIY touch interface with simple elements? Very amazing!
Dr. Maeda says. Despite the lip service paid to ''ease of use,'' ''plug and play,'' and ''one-click shopping,'' simplicity is an endangered quality in the digital world, he adds, and it is time to break free from technology's intimidating complexity.
Dr. Maeda says the solution is not better design or better technology but a better partnership between the two.
1.Heed cultural patterns. The iPod, for instance, succeeded not just because of its sleek form, but because, in conjunction with iTunes, it solved so many of the problems of buying and storing music.
2.Be transparent. People like to have a mental model of how things work.
3.Edit. Simplicity hinges as much on cutting nonessential features as on adding helpful ones, the Newton MessagePad and the Palm Pilot being prime examples.
4.Prototype. Push beyond proof-of-technology demos and build prototypes that people can interact with.
''We need to bring dynamic, immersive, engaging visuals to a whole range of information-display problems, from handling messages in your e-mail in-box to mapping the genome.''
As the first year of the workshop ends, the most obvious conclusion is that it has barely scratched the surface. With every Consumer Electronics Show, we seem to wade deeper into the ''paradox of the digital age,'' in the words of the computer scientist and design critic Donald Norman: the very technologies that we hope will simplify life ultimately complicate it. But there is hope. As Mr. Moggridge says, ''Technology is the villain, as well as the exciting opportunity.''
1) Form : I am thinking of an electronic touch screen menu to order meals at restaurants efficiently. It could be in the form of hardware that looks like an Air Mac book, which is a thin and movable laptop made by Apple. After opening it up, customers can order meals by touching the screen like the same functions of using an iphone. After customers input food data on the touch screen, the data will go to a chef without waiters. E-menu provides organization, detailed information about meals, and expanded views of menu applications. I believe that this is very efficient and sustainable because traditional paper menus have limits to explain their details.
2) Content : The traditional way of ordering has become an outdated system. Why do we have to yell, “Excuse me” to order? What about applying touch screens into a menu book? Actually, this idea already exists but is not popular yet everywhere. Also, many specialists predict that touch screen menus will be growing in the future. My focus is making this idea popular with good and usable design and application having unique ideas compared to existing e-menus. There are many touch screens with different purposes all around us such as bank ATMs, subway machine and cinema ticket machines that are easy-to-use and fast. However, it is somewhat unreasonable to apply this concept into restaurant menus. Of course, some people want to order fast without wasting time, but I think food represents culture and the quality of life. Thus, many restaurants might not prefer to use e-menus because it give the appearance of negating humanity and because of reason people are not accustomed to use the machine. Therefore, in my application, I try to provide design elements that relate to the cultural identity of the food. It can be exotic for people who experience different cultures, and learned about food and culture. Also, e-menus will provide video contents to show vivid food or education contents about how to cook this food. While waiting for an order, customers can enjoy playing games related to culture or food. 3) Who are your users? Users are customers who want to order meals easily and fast without miscommunication, and people who have their own styles to eat meals. I definitely believe that this e-menu makes people reduce time to wait for an order and makes them satisfy their taste by controlling the amount of seasoning like salt and sugar. The application domain of Menu Pad is fusion Asian casual sit-down restaurants. Many of the features provided by an e-menu would speed up ordering in these restaurants. Also, people who are interested in Asian food and feel Asian culture indirectly. 4) Little Picture|Big Picture : For this project in a 15 week semester, I will focus on developing application ideas and design with the way to attract people and use the application easily. I am processing this project with directed research, which is pre class for the thesis. I will continually study how to apply soft culture spirit in this hard technology.
I think the way of working touch screen is more easy to handle than Bamn. Bamn might have management problem to keep up. Sometimes it will be hard to check the machine. Also, they only provide food fit in the machine. This mean they cannot offer big size menu which is possible to make more money. So, even though it is an unique idea but it couldn't activate.
Craiglist is one of the most popular website in the world, but there are plenty of reasons to consider making some changes. Craigslist need to change in terms of design, layout, and usability.
The problem of Craiglist
1. The Design is Bland and Outdated.
2. Logging In, Signing Up, and Managing an Account is More Difficult than Necessary.
3. Screen Space is not well-arranged.
4. There is no navigation menu that appears consistently throughout the website.
Positive aspects of Craiglist
1. Craigslist is one of the most recognizable website.
2. Nonprofit website
3. Easy to post
4. Fast loading Pages
Challenges of Redesign
1. Oranization (because of so much content)
2. Improving the website while keeping Craigslist's identity
3. Change a little bit for user who have become accustomed to doing
The Suggested Design
1. Use little color ->monochromatic color with of a few shades of blue
2. Width (760px -> 960px)
3. Typography (serif -> Georgia font) make easy to read
4. Branding (make simple logo with GoudyBookletter 1911 font)
Layout(Table, Header, Sidebar,Footer)
Usability(Login-In Form on the Home Page, Link to "Create an Account" on the Home Page,
Consistent Navigation, Account Management)
My ideas: This is a great idea. Of course, many people are using Craigslist to share their ideas and seek what they want. I think it has great economical effects on the website in terms of advertising. It is a great place to advertise products because so many people visit this site. This means Ad can be exposed to the public and people can adjust Ad easily. With the revenue from Ad, Craigslist can be more usable and attractive. Actually, Craigslist is a very poplar website, but as soon as people enter the website, it makes them confused because of too much content on the first page. Obviously, this website needs improvement. I hope to see the website having good design and usability.
He make design as art. He said when you're working with corporations and brands like Motorola or Nike, you're adapting your own style to a pre-existing brand. That's more challenge than doing art.
His works are very amazing but,I think his work is possible to work on the web using various colors. If he usually works in the print, those works are not possible because in the print field there are limits to use colors to print well and save money.
How can we draw effective design? When I look around in the city, I think we spend our resources on unnecessary things. I predict some people who work in the simple field might lose their jobs. Do you think a waiter and waitress are those kind of people wasting their time with unnecessary works? I mean it is not my approach that they are not important people. Sometimes when we get good service from them, we can enjoy eating in a good mood.
"MenuPad is an LCD touch screen menu which, provides organization, details, and expanded views of menu items. These menus are intended to replace paper menus available in restaurants."
"Digital menus provide nearly unlimited space and can contain dynamic content."
Designer of 2015 trends will be a manifestation of a solution including strategy and experiences.
1. Designers need to experience and knowledge including the social sciences and humanities to solve problems in wide areas.
2. Designers need to get abilities to guess further about future problem.
3. Designers focus on specific targets.
4. Designers focus on an attention economy involves communication, information, experience and service design
5. Designers need to give spaces to make users participate in creation.
6. Designers focus on sustainability proposing responsible uses of resources.
my ideas: After looking over 2015 Trends, designers require not only aesthetic aspects but also functional aspects. They have to create works visually and to make customers use it sustainably to attract people. They need to understand how it works and why customers need it. They have to be aware of news about what is going on.
Also, an interesting part of 2015 trends is sharing experiences with users as co-creators. I agree that user-centered design will grow such as blogger and social networking sites.
To be specific, designers have to provide customers with the tools which they can make their own design. So, users can change the colors and format for their own style. Designers have to provide the various designs to meet the customers' taste.
According to businessweek, CEOs are hiring 27-year old mentors to help them navigate social media. Based of their future earnings, spending potential, and their ability to power the future economy, experts analyze Generation Yers’ opinions about everything from laundry preferences to personal priorities. Even now companies are paid to get advice from trends that emerge from Y Gen. I am including Y Gen because their interesting CEOs are focusing on Y Gen's social media. I think the reason why CEOs are interested in the Y Gen is because they are have a big bull's eye to the market.
"The role Twitter is currently playing as an important communication tool in Iran.” “I think that cyber activism can be a way to empower people living under less than democratic governments around the world,”
This youtube video is so funny. I found this video from sethgodin's blog. First when I watched this movie, I thought just crazy guy was dancing. But, after a few minutes, a lot of people join into dancing group. It's really surprising! According to a writer, initiators are rare indeed, but it's scary to be the leader. I think trend leaders are related to this weird guy. This is about how to bring strangers together to make connections in public spaces.
A growing hunger to profit from the global market for smart phones
This article from Economist describes about Smart phone. I have a plan to buy Smart phone. I think smart phone make people organize and well-communicate. This article announced that Smart phone is getting cheaper and faster because smart phone market is getting competitive. This news is good for me! Apple is trying to create new apps to attract customers. New Pre from Palm is very attractive to me. The shape is very simple and comfortable. Also, convenient apps will make me organized and easy connective person.
I found this work from core77. People are usually using business card to appear their name and position. But, from the other point of view business cards can be wasted things because it is just paper with some one's information. How to use it effectively? 1 hour design competition tried to come up with solutions. There are some cleaver solutions. One of ideas is making brush and pan by using business card.